Brilliant Simple Paper Airplane Instructions

  • Jan 16, 2016 5:20am GMT
  • 237 views

Mid-winter and cabin fever is setting in up here in the great white north. The Ottawa Citizen, a newspaper in Canada's cold capital has released this ingenious video showing how to make a flying machine out of their paper and fly it for hours at a time while getting plenty of exercise and never having to step outside!

Watch Ottawa artist Darcy Whyte's step-by-step instructions on making and flying an Ottawa Citizen tumblewing walkalong flyer in their video below.

Darcy is in the Business Jet Exhibition at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum in front of a Bombardier Challenger. It's the third prototype of the original production version, this Challenger was manufactured by Canadair Limited in Montreal in 1979. It was test flown in July 1979.

Between 1981 and 1982, it was fitted with new engines and had winglets added to its wing tips, to become the prototype of the second production version, the Challenger 601.

Between 1993 and 1994, the aircraft was converted for use as a prototype for the third production version, the Challenger 604, which had a longer range than previous models. By this time Canadair had been purchased by Bombardier. The Challenger was modified one last time between 1999 and 2004 and used to build expertise in the design of fly-by-wire control systems.

Bombardier donated the aircraft to the Museum in 2005. It was flown to Rockcliffe airport in 2006. It is the second oldest Challenger in existence. (see photos below video)

The DC-3 in the background (photos below video) was a donation from Goodyear Corporation and was manufactured in 1942 by Douglas Aircraft Company Incorporated. It was completed as a DC-3 airliner after the attacks on Pearl Harbor in 1941, and later served with the U.S. Army Air Forces as a C-49J. In 1945, it was sold to Trans-Canada Air Lines, becoming the first DC-3 operated by that airline.

Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company bought the aircraft in 1948 and refinished it for VIP transportation. It served with Goodyear until 1983, when the company donated it to the Museum.